Normally I love the taste of the organic creamy tomato sauce* I normally make for pasta but tonight I wanted something different. Béchamel Sauce was first seen in Italian cooking but has grown to be a staple in French cuisine. It is the base of many white sauces you find in restaurants. Here is how you can achieve it at home.
The texture of this sauce is insanely creamy smooth, like a fondue. For you pizza lovers, it is similar to the stretch you get when you bite into a piping hot cheezy slice of heaven.
50 grams grassfed butter
40 grams organic flour
16 oz organic heavy whipping cream
4 slices of Havarti
kosher salt and organic black or white pepper to taste
- Melt butter on low heat in a small sauce pan.
- Slowing incorporate flour into the melted butter, whisking until smooth. What you just made is a roux. This helps to make sauces creamy. It is imperative that the roux does not burn, otherwise it can make your sauce texture very powdery. If it burns, start over.
- After one or two minutes add the heavy whipping cream, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Once it starts to bubble a little bit, incorporate the Havarti slices until melted thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Since Havarti isn’t quite as tart at cheddar or as full bodied as Parmesan, it will need a healthy kick of salt.
- Enjoy on noodles, veggies, in a casserole, whatever your heart desires!
We ended up enjoying it on organic quinoa noodles, a great alternative for those with Celiac disease. I haven’t quite figured out a gluten-free alternative for the flour in this sauce, but I will update as soon as I figure one out! This also makes a great spread on sandwiches as well.
*Check back soon for my organic creamy tomato sauce recipe!