Every year I dream of doing a Christmas cookie platter to give to friends and family like one of my Grandmas (C.) used to do. This year, was not the year for that dream to come true. However, I was determined do some baking so I did whip up a quick banana bread Christmas morning to bring over to D’s parent’s house for present opening.
1 cup organic raw sugar
8 tbsp cold pressed organic coconut oil (room temp/softened)
1 organic egg
3 spotted or browning medium bananas
1/4 cup organic heavy whipping cream
(Dry ingredients sifted together)
2 cups organic flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking soda*
1/2 tsp Baltic Sea Salt
1 cup Guittard milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to approximately 350 F.
- Whip sugar and coconut oil together until smooth. If coconut oil is chunky, place mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water to soften the coconut oil chunks.
- Add the egg and peeled bananas. Using a hand mixing, bounce the wisk on the bananas until broken into small pieces or smooth to your preference. For a vegan banana bread, substitute egg for a 4 oz. of applesauce.
- Add the heavy whipping cream. Sometimes I substitute with whole milk, whole chocolate milk or even almond milk/coconut milk (vegan options) depending on what I have on hand.
- Once combined, mix in the sifted dry mixture of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sometimes for a heartier/healthier banana bread I’ll use organic whole wheat flour.
- Next mix in the chocolate chips if you chose.
- Use coconut oil to oil your bread pan, unless you are meal planning, then oil silicone muffin liners or use unbleached paper liners or parchment paper for a rustic look.
- If using a muffin tin, cook for 20-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. If using a bread pan, cook for 45-60 minutes ovens may vary, but same toothpick rule applies.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and enjoy warm with a hot or cold beverage. i.e. coffee, chai tea latte, hot chocolate, milk etc.If you try this recipe or any variants of it please let me know! Hope you enjoy!
*I choose aluminum-free baking soda for my household because aluminum can contribute to worsening Alzheimer’s symptoms and is not very good for individuals with kidney problems. Also, aluminum in deodorants can be absorbed into skin and worsening symptoms of those suffering from breast cancer.